Life's like that

Thursday, October 6, 2011

To lead, to excel, to overcome with honour and glory.

I had undergone a 3d2n experiential camp at the SAF Officer Cadet School. Tremendous experience, knowledge and truth.
A week before camp, I was quite worried because I had been inactive in NCC for about a year. My worry was the execution of commands. I had to review the commands, practice at home, think and recall. My biggest fear for this camp was to be selected as PC for this camp. But thankfully, I wasn't. I worried so much because the last HQ Camp I had ever attended was 3 years ago when I was becoming a Cadet Officer (CDO). Moreover, OCS experiential camp is the second camp I have attended as a CDO. My rank has being stagnant all the while but my passion for the Army was otherwise.

First day when I reported, I started to find myself as the only CDO with no other friends I know. That is kind of awkward. You know that feeling. Had to find a bunkmate because we are living in a 2 man bunk. With 17 strength, I thought okay, I am the odd one. Well, eventually, I did not sleep alone, I found Kenrick. I found out I was the only CDO from 56th batch, meaning I am the oldest officer. You may be skeptical or may covet what I have to say next. Many said I looked like their age which is 17 or 18. Got it? I have not only good perserverance but preservation!

OCS scheduled 2 school events intentionally for us during camp:
1) Commanders' Parade - live uniformed drills, distinct bang all from Officer Cadet Trainees(OCT) from different formations (land, sea & air).

2) 4km School Run aka cadence run - a very purposeful run. Run constitutes OCTs and commanders from OCS. Run was carried out Wing(which is company I think) by Wing in rows of 5, no overtaking. The purpose was to instill the core value "care for soldiers". No man is left behind; we fight together; we complete our mission together.

If you want to tour around SAFTI MI where OCS is located, go to the tower near OCS Parade Square. The tower was constructed with 279 steps signifies the no. of days each officer has to go through as a cadet trainee. At the top, 3 significant views you can observe: The HDB flats and clear blue sky which signifies the responsibility of the Air Force protecting our homes and skies, the sea ports which signifies the responsibility of the Navy protecting our sea from impending threats to our trades and the forest which signifies the responsibility of the Army.

The highlight of the camp to me was the privilege to speak to commisioned officers from different appointments. They were Commander OCS (COL Chua), Deputy Commander Army (SLTC Loong), Commandant NCC (LTC Adrian Koh), Charlie Wing Commander (LTC Ramezan), LTA Spencer, LTA Ee Sheng, LTA Alex and almost commisioned OCTs. Their expeiriences were tips to me on becoming an Officer. The simple conversations we had had inspired me to become leaders like them to lead, to excel, to overcome.

SLTC Loong gave us two takeaway statements: "Make it happen" & "STOP".
Make it happen: Which I thought is applicable also in my life as a Christian. To evangelise, I got to make it happen, I got to be intentional. I have to pray to make it happen.
STOP: abbreviated as Stop, Think, Organise, Proceed. Use "STOP" in your speeches and in your decisions or almost everything you do. It can save lives, it can refrain yourself from offending people, etc.

When camp started, I was praying, "God, show me your purpose for sending me to this camp." I certainly have gained a better assurance of my passion. The Army is where I desire to be; an Officer is what I desire to be; an elite soldier is what I aim to be; I love challenges; I love to aspire people.

I have been prompted to think about things like: "would I have sufficient time for God if I am in this profession?", "How much time do I actually have on weekdays?", "Can I serve on saturdays?", "Will I be able to go to church on sundays?". OCTs sleep late and get up early for the first few phases of training and they get to be attached to overseas training. So many considerations..I am praying for God to reveal the way for me. Certainly not to lead, to excel, to overcome for my own honor and glory but His. I believe He will.

It isn't simple to know what you desire to be in future. But it is certainly important. Ask yourself questions like: "Why am I studying this?", "What do I like to do?", What job is most suitable based on my personality?". But before you begin, ask God to show you the light as Prov 3:5-6 says. I suggest you start praying or I can even pray for you.

"In Singapore, every child goes through the same process of entering kindergarten, pri schs, sec schs, then jcs/poly. And more than often, most decision are not made by us. We have become so dependent that we neglect our decisions and thoughts. Everyone has a decision. And yes, in every decision there is a risk, there may be a bad outcome. Do you give up? No. But you find a solution and press on. Yesterday's solution cannot be applied in today's problem. Afterall, you have already made that decision. You can't turn back time but move on. It is a growing process. Get stucked in the past and you will never grow. You may become a leader in your family as a parent, a leader in a organisation or God's leader, you need to decide."

I don't want to be a hypocrite here. These things as you see are quoted. Quoted from SLTC Loong and Maj Neo. They have taught me these values and I am learning to cultivate that.

p.s. If you share a passion as I do, ask me more, because I have alot more to share. We will strive together!

Check out OCS website: http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/mindef_websites/atozlistings/saftimi/units/ocs/home.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home